Hey guys, IFFBoston has just announced its lineup of films for this year’s festival and it looks like it will be bigger and better than ever. The festival is turning 8 this year and this will be my fifth year volunteering. Each year over 20,000 movie lovers descend onto Somerville, Cambridge and Boston to watch some of the most promising independent films each year and to mingle with actors, writers, directors and other people in the entertainment business. The festival has grown at an incredible speed in just 8 years and past guests have included Ben Kingsley, Chris Cooper, Steve Buscemi, Eliza Dushku, John Waters, Will Arnett, Joey McIntyre, Danny Huston, Rob Corddry, Mary Steenburgen, Famke Janssen, Michael Cera and many others.
This year the festival kicks off on Wednesday, April 21 with the film “The Extra Man” starring Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Katie Holmes and Paul Dano. Kline is scheduled to be there to pick up his IFFBoston Career Achievement Award. IFFBoston will also introduce a new award in honor of late editor Karen Schmeer called the Karen Schmeer Award for Excellence in Documentary Editing. All in all over 150 films will be screened including feature films, documentaries and shorts. I highly encourage anyone in the area to check out the festival, good times will be had by all! Here are a few of the exciting films that will be screened this year, keep checking back here as more news comes out from IFFBoston headquarters!
Note: All of these summaries are quoted directly from the IFFBoston website.
- THE EXTRA MAN
- In this urbane comedy, Paul Dano and Kevin Kline play writers who sideline as escorts for wealthy widowed socialites.
- CELL 211
- In this Goya Award-winning suspense thriller from Spain, a rookie guard is trapped inside a prison during a riot and must pretend he is a prisoner to survive.
- Mark and Jay Duplass’s hilarious new comedy about the battle for one woman’s affections, starring John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill, Catherine Keener and Marisa Tomei.
- An unassuming guy is shocked out of his dull, everyday work routine when he discovers that his co-workers aren’t exactly from this planet in the latest film by Amber Benson and Adam Busch.
- THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD
- In this frenetic, high-octane Korean Western, three Outlaws in 1930s Manchuria attempt to recover a map to buried treasure.
- I AM LOVE
- The wife of an Italian industrial magnate (Tilda Swinton) embarks on a dangerous affair in this sumptuous film.
- THE KILLER INSIDE ME
- Casey Affleck portrays a Texas deputy sheriff whose dormant violent tendencies resurface. Directed by Michael Winterbottom.
- 8: THE MORMON PROPOSITION
- Investigates the Mormon Church’s role in passing California’s Proposition 8.
- Twelve Nicaraguan banana workers sue Dole Food over their use of a dangerous pesticide known to cause sterility.
- ERASING DAVID
- Director David Bond attempts to disappear to find out just how much private companies and government know about him.
- HOW TO FOLD A FLAG
- Examines the difficulties facing returning veterans of the Iraqi War.
- TEENAGE PAPARAZZO
- Adrien Grenier’s (Entourage) feature directorial debut documents the rise to fame and success of Hollywood’s youngest member of the paparazzi.
- ORGASM INC.
- This hilarious and thought-provoking documentary explores the world of pharmaceutical companies attempting to get FDA approval for the first Viagra-like product for women.
- ON THE OTHER SIDE OF LIFE (SPECIAL SNEAK PREVIEW SCREENING)
- A gripping account of two brothers struggling to balance modernity and tradition in Cape Town.
- SATURDAY NIGHT – CLOSING NIGHT FILM
- James Franco (PINEAPPLE EXPRESS) makes his directorial debut with this behind-the-scenes look at the making of an episode of Saturday Night Live.